Thursday, May 19, 2011

Wildflower shaped card


Hi there!

Today I'm sharing an oval shaped card that I created using the Sweet 'n Sassy Wildflowers stamp set and Spellbinder's Petite plain and scallop dies.  If you haven't made a shaped card before, I encourage you to give it a try!  Using dies, such as those from Spellbinders helps the process be as painless as it can be quick and easy and even better than that - it's a great way to make a clean and simple card look special. 

Korin has a great watercolor marker video on The Sweet 'n Sassy Connection for you to view on how to color this bold image that you will want to check out, if you haven't already.  For my project today, I did not spritz my image with water before stamping, that's why the image is so crisp and clear.  However, I did use a marker spritzer with a light yellow marker to spritz a bit of color in the background - I thought that helped to soften it a bit. The floral image in this stamp set makes a great focal point for a card front and by coloring the image with dye based markers BEFORE you stamp it, all the work is practically done for you once you stamp the image!  No coloring necessary!

When creating shaped cards such as this one, I like to score the inside die cut shape around 3/4" from the top and always use 1/4" Scor Tape to adhere the panels together, lining the scallops together before assembling.  That way the card front itself shows the entire die cut shape without the scored line.  Here's one more photo that shows you what the inside looks like if you score the inside panel of the card and leave the front panel intact:


Happy stamping - hope you can make a shaped card soon!
Jessica

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just saw this website for the first time. I'm very impressed with your cards and stamps.

~Susanna

Janette said...

very pretty Jessica! You know I have been wondering how to make a shape card without the top being flattened, thanks for the visual.